Road upgrade delayed until next year
THE opening of the much-needed upgrade of the A120 between Stansted and Braintree has been delayed until June 2004. The long awaited 15-mile stretch of road was due to be completed in January 2004 but owing to various unforeseen obstructions during construction the opening has been postponed by half a year.
THE opening of the much-needed upgrade of the A120 between Stansted and Braintree has been delayed until June 2004.
The long awaited 15-mile stretch of road was due to be completed in January 2004 but owing to various unforeseen obstructions during construction the opening has been postponed by half a year.
An Essex County Council spokeswoman said: “The delays were caused by a number of factors. “Firstly the project encountered problems in obtaining planning permission for overhead electric cables due to their close proximity to Stansted Airport which is protected by a safety zone.
“Secondly a large sewerage pipe was discovered underground between Great Dunmow and Little Dunmow which we were unaware of, and this resulted in the road having to be rerouted. Thirdly progress was hindered by the severe weather conditions we experienced earlier in the year.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Ron Williams, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, added: “Work on this road has been more problematic than we had hoped.
“The relocation of some essential services was outside the control of both client and contractor and despite efforts to catch up, the problems were compounded by unreasonable wet periods. All partners have agreed new target dates and I am confident that when completed, this much-needed road will greatly improve safety and reduce congestion on the busy A120.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 8 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 9 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
“Opening individual sections as soon as they are completed will bring welcome relief to residents and motorists alike.”
The A120 has now reached the half way stage, but it is still hoped that completion may still be earlier than the new date of June 2004.