Roadworks in Suffolk and Essex to close parts of A14, A12, and A120
- Credit: Archant
Major roadworks in Suffolk and Essex this week will bring partial and full closures to busy routes including the A14, A12, A120 and A47.
Highways England, which is responsible for motorways and major A roads, said its planned road improvements in the coming week would be carried out with the aim of “causing as little disruption as possible”.
A14 Orwell Bridge to junction 62: resurfacing
Work to resurface the concrete carriageway between Orwell and Levington and the carriageway between Levington and junction 62 continues this week. The work is being carried out in sections between 9pm and 6am each night (Monday to Friday). The westbound carriageway will be closed between junctions 59 and 57 with a signed diversion route via Felixstowe Road and High Road, through Trimley St Mary and Trimley St Martin and along the A1156.
A14 junctions 41-51: drainage surveys
You may also want to watch:
Work to survey drains along verges and central reserves on the A14 between junctions 41 and 51 will start Wednesday 21 February, with working hours of 9pm to 5am, weeknights only. Work will finish Saturday 3 March. Single lane closures will be in place during these works.
A14 junctions 38 to 43: vegetation clearance
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 3 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 4 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 5 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 6 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 7 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 8 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
Vegetation clearance work along the verges of the A14 between junctions 38 and 43 begins this week. Work will take place on weeknights between 8pm and 6am until Thursday 15 March, within lane closures.
A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire: major improvements
Construction work on the new A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme is now well underway. We are currently carrying out a variety of tasks for which we need to close lanes or carriageway on the A1, A14 and some local roads, usually overnight between 8pm and 6am, unless otherwise stated. A clearly signed diversion route will always be in place for closures.
For this week, the planned closures are:
Monday 26 February to Friday 2 March (five nights):
• A1 Northbound between Buckden and Brampton Hut. A signed diversion will be in place, vehicles will be diverted east on the A428, then north on the A1198 and then west on the A14 to re-join the A1.
• A1307 outbound from Castle Street Cambridge to A14. A signed diversion will be in place. Vehicles will be diverted north on the A1049 Histon Road to junction 32 of the A14
Tuesday 27 February to Wednesday 28 February (two nights)
• A14 westbound, junction 30 exit slip road. A signed diversion will be in place, vehicles will be diverted west to junction 29 where they turn and return eastbound on the A14 to junction 30.
Thursday 1 March to Friday 2 March (two nights)
• A1 southbound between Alconbury and Brampton. A signed diversion will be in place. Vehicles will be diverted south on the A14 link road to Spittals interchange, then west on the A14 to Brampton Hut to re-join the A1.
• A14 westbound junction 32, entry slip road. A signed diversion will be in place. Vehicles will be diverted east along the A14 to junction 33, where they turn and return west to junction 32.
Friday 2 March 8pm to Sunday 4 March 7pm.
• B1040 Potton Road between St Ives Road and the A14.
A signed diversion will be in place, vehicles travelling from the A14 will be diverted west along the A14 then south on the A1198 to re-join the B1040. Vehicles travelling from the A1198 will follow the route in reverse.
Monday 26 February to Friday 2 March (five nights):
• A1 northbound between Little Paxton and Buckden, lane 2 closed
• A14 eastbound between junction 31 and junction 34, lane 1 closed.
Thursday 1 March to Friday 2 March (two nights):
• A1 southbound between junction 15 and junction 14, lanes 2,3 and 4 closed
A14 junctions 51 to 52: embankment repairs
Work to improve layby embankment continues this week. The layby will be closed and localised lane closures will take place on weeknights between 8pm and 6am until Thursday 15 March.
A14 junctions 51 to 43: carriageway repairs
Concrete repairs to the A14 between junctions 51 to 43 continues this week. The westbound carriageway will be closed between junction 51 and 43 on weeknights between 8pm and 6am. A signed diversion route will be in place via the A140 and A143. Please allow additional time for your journeys.
A12 junctions 27-28, Colchester: resurfacing
Resurfacing work along the A12 carriageway begins next week. The northbound carriageway will be closed between junctions 28 and 29 at Colchester on weeknights between 8pm and 6am until mid-March. A clearly signed diversion will be in place via A1124, A133 Cymbeline Way and Cowdraw Avenue, and A1232 Ipswich Way.
A12 junction 29, Colchester: safety improvements
Safety improvement works along the A12 at the junction 29 Crown Interchange at Colchester take place this week. The northbound carriageway will be closed on weeknights between 8pm and 6am. Road users will be diverted via the exit and entry slip roads.
A12 and A120, Essex: safety barrier repairs
Work to repair damaged safety barriers along the A12 and A120 in various locations continues this week, with working hours of 8pm to 6am, weeknights only. Single lane closures will be in place past the area being worked on
A11 Barton Mills: landscape management
Vegetation and landscape management work on the A11 between A14 junction 38 and the Fiveways roundabout in Barton Mills, near Mildenhall, continues this week until late March. Work will take place on weeknights between 8pm and 6am within lane closures.
A11 Barton Mills to Thetford: road marking renewal
Road marking renewal along the A11 between Barton Mills and Thetford continues this week. The road will be closed on weeknights between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion route in both directions will be in place via the A1065 to Mundford and the A134 to Thetford.
A47 Lowestoft: resurfacing
Work on the A47 between Cart Score and Mill Road will be completed in early March. We will be resurfacing the road, clearing vegetation, and carrying out minor safety improvements. Carriageway closures will be in place overnight between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion route will be in place for each closure.
A120 Crown Bridge, Colchester: structural repairs
Work to improve the safety of the Crown Bridge near A12 junction 29 by carrying out structural repairs as well as painting the underside of the bridge continues this week until late April. Work will take place on weeknights between 8pm and 6am. The north and south side of the bridge will be fully closed at separate times. Clearly signed diversion will be in place. Southbound traffic (for the A1232) will be diverted via A12 J28, Axial Way and Severalls Lane to the A1232. Northbound traffic will be diverted west to A12 Junction 28 where they can join the A12 northbound carriageway.