Robbers attack guard and steal cash
POLICE are dealing with a major incident in Ipswich town centre in which robbers have stolen cash from a security van.
POLICE are investigating a major incident in Ipswich town centre in which robbers have stolen cash from a security van.
At about 4.40pm this afternoon a security guard was attacked outside WH Smith in front of hundreds of Christmas shoppers before two men escaped with a cashbox.
The security guard is understood to have been elbowed in the face by one of the offenders before they made off with the money.
Eyewitness Jack Miller was doing some last minute shopping when the drama unfolded whilst he was standing outside Primark, opposite WH Smiths where the security van was parked.
“As I understand the driver was elbowed in the face and then at least two people were running away, one of them was holding what looked like a cash box,” he said. “A third person was chasing after them towards Marks and Spencers. They were both white males with spiky hair.
“The alarms were going off from the van saying, 'help security van under attack, please call the police.”
- 1 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 2 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 5 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 8 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
- 9 Three overnight burglaries in the same Sudbury street
- 10 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
In a statement Suffolk police appealed for any eye witnesses to contact them to help with their enquiries.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “Police want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the robbery or anyone with any further information and anyone who may find a discarded cash box left by the offenders.”
The immediate area, from WH Smiths to Marks and Spencers, was cordoned off for about an hour whilst police carried out their investigations.
It is believed the security guard sustained no serious injuries.
Anyone with any information should contact Ipswich CID on 01473 613500.
Further details to follow - check this website for updates.