Robbers 'caused £40k damage in raid'
A “RUTHLESS and determined” gang who ripped out a cash machine during a ram raid at an Ipswich store caused almost £40,000 damage, a court has heard.The gang of five to six masked men used a truck to remove the machine, which contained £24,510 from the Spar shop in Reynolds Road, Ipswich and then loaded it into a car, Ipswich Crown Court was told.
A “RUTHLESS and determined” gang who ripped out a cash machine during a ram raid at an Ipswich store caused almost £40,000 damage, a court has heard.
The gang of five to six masked men used a truck to remove the machine, which contained £24,510 from the Spar shop in Reynolds Road, Ipswich and then loaded it into a car, Ipswich Crown Court was told.
John Farmer, prosecuting, told the court that the raid illustrated the “sheer determination and ruthlessness” of the gang.
He said that the stolen cash machine had been worth £8,500 and £27,500 damage had been caused to the shop premises during the raid. A further £3,000 damage was caused to the stolen vehicle used during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
“They were prepared to cause £30,000 to £40,000 damage and destruction to get the cash,” said Mr Farmer.
He alleged that one of those taking part in the aggravated burglary at the store in February last year was 20-year-old Rocky Buckley of Meadow Road, Willingham, Cambridge.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 4 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 5 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 6 Burst water main floods A14 roundabout and leaves homes without water
- 7 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 8 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 9 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 10 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
It has been alleged that Buckley was a member of a gang, which allegedly stole and damaged property totalling £1 million during a string of raids at post offices and stores in Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.
The court has heard that Buckley has admitted conspiracy to steal cars and conspiracy to commit burglaries and aggravated burglaries but has denied conspiring to commit robberies and armed robberies.
The trial continues today.