Robbers launch morning raid on bank
POLICE are hunting for armed robbers who targeted a bank on an island community this morning.
POLICE are hunting for armed robbers who targeted a bank on an island community in Essex this morning.
A member of staff from Barclays bank arrived at work in West Mersea at 8.25am to be confronted by two men who were already inside the building.
The woman managed to get out of the bank and alerted police and an armed response unit was sent to the scene in Yorick Road.
It is not known at this stage what the robbers took or how they accessed the building.
All vehicles attempting to leave the island are currently being checked by police officers as they attempt to find the two men who were both wearing blue boiler suits.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 3 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 4 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 5 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 6 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 'I like his profile' - McKenna looking forward to working with Ndaba
- 9 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
- 10 Warning issued after doorstep trader reported in Stowmarket
An Essex Police spokesman said: “The investigation is in its early stages.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Essex Police on 0300 333 4444.