Men armed with hammers and knives carry out terrifying robbery at Essex Co-Op
- Credit: Archant
Three men on mopeds parked behind the Co-op in Spa Road in Witham just after 9.35pm on Thursday, September 13.
Two of them, one armed with a hammer and the other with a knife, went into the shop and demanded money.
Money and the draws from the tills were taken before the men left the shop and left on the mopeds.
Police believe these would have been difficult to carry on a moped so may have been noticed by the public.
The men are described as wearing black jogging bottoms, black hooded tops, black motorcycle helmets, and red gloves.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Mick Carrington, from Braintree CID, said: “This was a terrifying incident for the two members of staff involved and it’s really important we find those responsible.
“While they weren’t injured they have been left really shaken up.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 7 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 8 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
“This was a cowardly act by the men involved who had little regard for the members of staff involved and their actions or totally unacceptable.
“If you have any information I need you to come forward and contact my team.”
If you saw or heard anything, have CCTV, were driving in the area and have dash cam footage, or have any other information please call Essex Police on 101 quoting the crime reference number 42/133162/18.
You can also call Crimestoppers 100 percent anonymously on 0800 555 111.