Men armed with hammers and knives carry out terrifying robbery at Essex Co-Op
- Credit: Archant
Three men on mopeds parked behind the Co-op in Spa Road in Witham just after 9.35pm on Thursday, September 13.
Two of them, one armed with a hammer and the other with a knife, went into the shop and demanded money.
Money and the draws from the tills were taken before the men left the shop and left on the mopeds.
Police believe these would have been difficult to carry on a moped so may have been noticed by the public.
The men are described as wearing black jogging bottoms, black hooded tops, black motorcycle helmets, and red gloves.
Detective Sergeant Mick Carrington, from Braintree CID, said: “This was a terrifying incident for the two members of staff involved and it’s really important we find those responsible.
“While they weren’t injured they have been left really shaken up.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 2 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 8 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 9 Fire crews extinguish large playing field fire in Suffolk village
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
“This was a cowardly act by the men involved who had little regard for the members of staff involved and their actions or totally unacceptable.
“If you have any information I need you to come forward and contact my team.”
If you saw or heard anything, have CCTV, were driving in the area and have dash cam footage, or have any other information please call Essex Police on 101 quoting the crime reference number 42/133162/18.
You can also call Crimestoppers 100 percent anonymously on 0800 555 111.