Rockets chief a relieved man
ROCKETS speedway team boss John Sampford was a very relieved man after Saturday's dramatic Young Shield victory over Sheffield.The usually laid back Sampford admitted afterwards: "I might look calm now, but I certainly wasn't during the last few heats! "I thought we tried everything to throw it away.
ROCKETS speedway team boss John Sampford was a very relieved man after Saturday's dramatic Young Shield victory over Sheffield.
The usually laid back Sampford admitted afterwards: "I might look calm now, but I certainly wasn't during the last few heats!
"I thought we tried everything to throw it away.
"We came through by the skin of our teeth but who cares now, be it one point or 20 getting through was all that mattered."
You may also want to watch:
He also paid tribute to dogged opponents who kept fighting right to the final bend.
"They fought all the way. A few heads dropped when Sheffield got an 8-1 and then a 7-2 but they kept plugging away.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 9 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 10 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
"When Luke [Bowen] came off in Heat 14 when we could have sewn it up, even then Sheffield were still in it.
"Thankfully Luke redeemed himself with the second place in Heat 15 but even that went right to the line."
The Rockets now face Scunthorpe over two legs for a place in the final and as Sampford explained Rye House will definitely be up for the challenge.
"It doesn't matter who they are, we have to beat them if we want win the trophy and end the season on a high note.