Rugby show gives Bury Foxes big lift
- Credit: supplied
Bury Foxes women’s rugby team, sponsored by Volkswagen Bury St Edmunds, had a taste of fame by appearing on BT Sports show Rugby Tonight.
The local team appeared on the hit show for rugby fanatics after being transported to the Olympic Park studios with help from their sole sponsor.
The team took part in a number of the show’s segments including the smash-o-meter and the lineout demonstration by Rob Webber, a popular hooker for Bath Rugby.
Team manager and player Sara Clarke said the team members were delighted to appear on their favourite show and it had given them the perfect boost to their profile in women’s rugby.
“We had a great time filming. We were all so excited about meeting the hosts and we’ve even kept in touch with the other team that was on the show, Beccehamian RFC.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s all good publicity for the club.
“We’d like to thank our sponsors Volkswagen Bury St Edmunds who funded our transport down to the studios and back. It is great to have the backing of a major local business and we couldn’t be more grateful.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
The Northern Way car retailer recently renewed its sponsorship of the women’s team by investing £1,500 towards its branded rugby kits.
Robert Rolfe, brand manager at Volkswagen Bury St Edmunds, said: “We feel privileged to be involved with such an established local group.
“It was great to see them represent Bury St Edmunds on national television. We wish them every success.”
And the Foxes, who kicked off the season in September, have created some 2014 calendars bursting with entertaining images of the team members sporting pink bandanas. All proceeds will go to their nominated charity, Suffolk Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
n The calendar is available from Bury Rugby Club at The GKIPA Haberden, Southgate Green, Bury St Edmunds, IP33 2BL.
n For further information about sponsorships contact Volkswagen Bury St Edmunds, in Northern Way, on 01284 763441.