Rushmere St Andrew: A Ghana challenge for volunteer Karen West
- Credit: Archant
A big-hearted volunteer is heading to Africa to work on a variety of community and sports coaching projects.
Karen West, from Rushmere St Andrew, will be among a group of volunteers travelling to Woe in Ghana in November with the Ipswich Town FC Charitable Trust.
The 45-year-old, of The Pastures, will spend 11 days working in schools and health clinics in Woe, a deprived rural coastal area of the country.
She said: “I went to an information evening and there were some people there from a previous trip to Kenya.
“They said it was incredible and a completely life-changing experience so I signed up.
“I have never done a volunteer trip before but I have volunteered for the trust on educational trips. This is something completely different for me and will be a huge experience.
“My friends and family are all really supportive of me and it’s going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.”
- 1 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 2 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 3 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 4 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 7 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 8 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 9 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 10 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
Miss West, who works for Aviva Insurance, has to raise £2,250 as a condition of taking part in the trip.
To help with her fundraising, she successfully completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in May in 11 hours and 15 minutes.
She added: “The challenge raised £1,020 and my employer will be adding another £250.
“The money raised is predominantly for the work in Ghana but includes £700 for the trust’s work in the UK where they seek to inspire, motivate and improve the education and life chances of a whole range of people.”
She has also organised a quiz at Seckford Golf Club in Woodbridge on July 17 at 7.30pm and a tennis tournament at David Lloyd Leisure in Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, on September 7.
Tickets for the quiz cost £15 each including a hot meal. Call Miss West on 07851377095 to book a table or to take part in the tennis contest.
Anyone interested in donating should visit www.justgiving.com/Karen-West7