Safety steps on road 'insufficient'

LEADING officials have labelled safety improvements along a notorious stretch of road which has claimed the lives of ten people over the last year as "insufficient".

LEADING officials have labelled safety improvements along a notorious stretch of road which has claimed the lives of ten people over the last year as "insufficient".

Members of Forest Heath District Council are urging county road chiefs to introduce further precautions along the A1101 after two more fatal accidents along the route in just one day.

The calls have come after a male car driver, who has yet to be named by police, and pensioner Aubrey Buddle become the latest victims on the road after two separate smashes on Thursday.

Mr Buddle, 78, of West Row, was fatally injured when his pedal cycle was involved in a collision with a Citroen Saxo car at Beck Row, near Mildenhall.


You may also want to watch:


And further along the A1101, the male driver of a Ford Ka was killed after his vehicle was involved in a horrific collision with a Transit van. The accident happened at Sedge Fen, just three miles along the A1101 from where Mr Buddle was killed.

Both accidents were close to where young mother Cortina Hamilton and her three young children Jalin, five, Alyssa, three and toddler Malik, died in a tragic accident in September.

Most Read

And although Suffolk County Council recently introduced a £50,000 improvement package for the route, to include lowering the speed limit and installing more warning signs, Forest Heath councillors say this is not enough.

Council leader Geoffrey Jaggard said: "I know the county council is doing some work on the route, but I think they need to look again and see what further measures can be taken to improve safety.

"There seems to be a huge problem here and action must be taken urgently. To lose six lives in the past four months it just not right. The situation is very poor and highway bosses need to take a good look at it."

And Carol Lynch, Forest Heath vice-chairman, echoed his views, saying: "When so many accidents are happening on the same stretch of road it has to be given top priority.

"I urge the county council to look at the situation urgently, because we shouldn't be seeing so many fatalities in such a short space of time. This is a terrible problem."

But Suffolk County Council portfolio holder for road safety Peter Monk said drivers should take more responsibility for their own actions.

"A lot of work has already been done along that route and we have put in place what people in that area requested.

"There comes a time when a council can do little more and have to start looking at the road users themselves.

"We don't want to see anymore accidents, but there comes a time when people have to start taking responsibility for themselves."

Police are still appealing for witnesses to either accident to contact the Bury Traffic Unit on 01284 774422.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter