Hundreds of sausage dogs gather for paw-some charity walk
- Credit: #SOUTHWOLDSAUSAGEWALK
Scores of Dachshund owners barking mad for their four-legged friends flocked to Southwold for a sponsored walk to support sausage dogs in crisis.
Approximately 400 Dachshunds travelled from across the country to take part in the walk along the beach on October 7 – with visitors from as far as Norfolk, Essex, Hertfordshire and London.
As well as providing an opportunity for Dachshund owners and their pets to socialise, the event was held in aid of the charity Dedicated to Dachshunds with IVDD, which loans equipment to sausage dogs recovering from a nasty spinal ailment called Intervertebral Disc Disease.
Headed by co-organisers Heidi Ginger and Laura Baggott, the team were thrilled to raise more than £1,200 in donations.
Ms Ginger said the event was inspired by a very special sausage dog who had been struck down by IVDD earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
“The reason we choose this charity for our walk is because six-year-old Percy, who is the sausage dog that belongs to Laura, was diagnosed with IVDD in June this year.
“Percy is making a great recovery and the charity had been kind enough to loan Laura a stroller while Percy can only walk a short distance until he gets better. They have also offered Laura lots of support and advice.
- 2 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 7 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 8 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
“Our walk again had a massive turnout, with approximately 400 sausage dogs attending, including those that had suffered with IVDD or those in recovery.
“We raised just over £1,200 with donations, as well as doing a raffle which had some fantastic prizes, all of which were donated to us.
“Again we have Adnams Sole Bay Brewery in Southwold to thank for being our main sponsor for the event.”
It is not the first time sausage dogs have gathered in Southwold – the team have held two events previously, one in December 2017 and another on Easter Saturday this year.
Organisers were even rewarded with a gold plaque commemorating Easter’s event, displayed pride of place next to the beach.
Ms Ginger added that there are likely more so-called ‘Sausage Walks’ to come – so Dachshund lovers should keep their eyes peeled.
“We plan on doing a fancy dress Christmas Walk and will announce details on our Facebook page in due course,” she said.