Saxmundham church sparkles as tree festival ushers in Christmas period
- Credit: Archant
A dazzling display of more than 40 festive firs are on show at a Suffolk church.
It may be cold outside but competition for Saxmundham Christmas Tree Festival is heating up – with visitors to St John’s Church invited to help choose a winner today.
Trees decorated by clubs, societies, organisations and businesses have been in place for the last week, with the final votes to be cast before 3.30pm today, and the winners announced at about 4pm.
There are prizes for first, second and third, and an extra prize for the tree selected by an independent judge.
Festival organiser Jill Sedge said: “We’ve had some modern takes on things, some totally recyclable trees, some traditional, and some showing what the organisations are all about.”
You may also want to watch:
Schoolchildren will sing carols as the final votes are collected at the church, before a lantern-lit walk to Fromus Square for more carols.
Carol services also take place in Kelsale at 4.30pm this Sunday; Carlton at 2.30pm next Sunday, and at 6.30pm on December 21 in Saxmundham, where there is a crib service at 3pm and Communion from 11pm on Christmas Eve.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
Christmas Day Communion is at 10am in Kelsale.