Saxmundham: Future plans for social centre discussed
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Suffolk’s localities leader has visited a Saxmundham social centre to discuss future plans for the building.
Councillor Beccy Hopfensperger from Suffolk County Council visited the Fromus Centre to also review progress.
The building was formerly the Saxmundham Community Resource Unit, and was taken over by volunteer directors at Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company (SADCIC) two years ago.
Ms Hopfensperger looks over the council’s “Our Place” programme, which supports local community groups in determining and managing local services for themselves.
Ms Hopfensperger said: “I’m truly impressed with what has taken place with this building, through the concerted efforts of just a handful of dedicated local volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a shining example of what can be achieved with the new “Our Place” approach by Suffolk County Council.
“As a result, Suffolk County Council has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with SADCIC - as a declaration of intent that we will work closely with them to help realise our joint aspirations for even more exciting developments on this site.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 7 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
Don Tricker, SADCIC Chairman said: “SADCIC are now looking to work with Suffolk County Council to develop the whole site, which would include the design and building of a new purpose built Fromus Centre.
“SADCIC would need to raise the necessary funding for this venture but we appreciate Suffolk County Council’s gesture in signing the MOU to support us with this ambitious vision.”