First look inside town's newly-revamped library
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Saxmundham has unveiled its newly-revamped library - which promises to be bigger, better and more modern than ever before.
The site, which is part of the Saxmundham Hub, boasts more up-to-date facilities and greater space for community activities.
There is also a new children's section, new books for people to read and fresh carpets and furniture.
Bruce Leeke, chief executive of Suffolk Libraries, said: “It’s fantastic to be opening a second new library for our customers this month and we’re grateful to Suffolk County Council for providing this new facility.
"Our libraries provide a place where everyone and anyone can belong and offer a huge range of activities and services.
You may also want to watch:
"The new building will create the flexibility to meet the changing needs of the local community.”
The library, which was in a temporary building while the revamp was taking place, is part of bigger changes to the county council building in Street Farm Road.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
The site is also a base for the charity Leading Lives, as well as Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company.
Councillor Richard Smith, Suffolk County Council's cabinet member for economic development, transport strategy and waste, said: “I’m delighted that the new Saxmundham Library is now ready to open.
"The newly-reconfigured building will provide library visitors with a larger purpose designed space for research, events and activities.
“The library sits within the building complex, now known as The Saxmundham Hub, which will also be the new home to the Fromus Community Centre run by Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company (CIC) and Leading Lives - who are pleased to be having modern facilities for their customers and who provide vital services to support the health and wellbeing of people living in Saxmundham and the surrounding area.”
For the first two weeks, the library will be open 9.30am to 1.30pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridaysl, as well as 9.30am to 12.30pm on Saturdays.
Opening hours will be reviewed in July.