Saxmundham: Sites in Saxon Road and Market Square to be sold off by district council
A DISTRICT authority is selling off some of its assets as it looks to tighten the purse strings.
Suffolk Coastal has put two sites in Saxmundham up for sale - a plot of land in Saxon Road and the toilet block in Market Square.
The council has been off-loading a variety of assets in recent months in a bid to save money - with a number transferred to town or parish authorities.
Robert Whiting, cabinet member for resources, said the plot of land in Saxon Road, which measures 0.075 hectares, had the potential to have a new home built on it - providing the bidder gained permission. If consent was obtained for more than one home, the council would be due half of the increased value of the site.
Commenting on the toilet block Mr Whiting said: “They could just be demolished and the land used to add to the town’s car parking, but equally there might be potential for converting the existing building and adding an extra service or facility. I look forward to seeing some interesting ideas for the future use of this site, which while clearly is quite small, does have a central location and could have genuine potential for something other than a car park.”
You may also want to watch:
There are ongoing discussions about the possible redevelopment of land next to the redundant toilets so the sale will be subject to a clawback provision - if the land is used as part of that redevelopment - meaning the purchaser would have to share any profits with the council.
Mr Whiting said: “We are continuing to look through our whole portfolio to see which we can either transfer to a local community organisation, or put up for sale so it can be used and developed. This is helping to reduce our costs and bring in much-needed income, but is also securing the future of some assets or bringing them back to life, so both the district and the local area is benefiting from our efforts.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
People have until February 28 to bid. Call 01394 444717 or email email@example.com.