Saxmundham skatepark designers fight for votes at consultation event
Plans for a £65,000 skatepark in Saxmundham have stepped up after around 100 youngsters voted on prospective designs.
A facility for skateboarders and BMX riders has been discussed for 15 years but rapid progress is now being thanks to £40,000 funding from a play fund set up via the legal agreement for the town’s Heritage Gate housing project.
On Saturday, skatepark companies showcased designs at Market Hall in the town and around 100 young people submitted their preferences.
Cheleigh Trotter-Langlois, chairman of Saxmundham and Villages Volunteer Youth (SAVVY), which organised the event with Saxmundham Town Council, said: “It was an absolutely fantastic event; so many people turned up.
“I think the skatepark will give young people a focal point in Saxmundham because there isn’t one really. They are moved from pillar to post. They need somewhere which they can make their own and feel part of the town, and getting them involved with the designs will really make them feel part of Saxmundham.”
You may also want to watch:
Consultation results are expected by the end of March.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash