Saxmundham teenager charged with grievous bodily harm on police officer
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has been charged with grievous bodily harm on a police officer who allegedly sustained a broken nose and fractured cheekbone when hit in the face by a bottle.
Ben McPherson, of Warren Avenue, Saxmundham, is accused of striking Pc Jeffrey Burt with a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey after the officer responded to a call on Friday night.
McPherson is charged with wounding with intent. The 18-year-old is also accused harassment by breaching a restraining order.
The allegations arise out of an incident which is said to have begun at Russell Close in Peasenhall on 9.10pm.
McPherson is alleged to have breached a restraining order which was imposed on October 29, 2014 by going to a property.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Burt was taken to hospital after the alleged assault.
McPherson made his first appearance on the charges before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich yesterday via a video link from Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 8 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 9 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
The grievous bodily harm charge is so serious it can only be dealt with at crown court.
McPherson’s case was sent to Ipswich Crown Court where his next hearing is scheduled for April 18.
McPherson is currently remanded in custody.