School set to reopen as new doctors surgery in Wivenhoe
- Credit: PA
A former school in Essex is set to reopen as a new doctors surgery in 2015 following years of campaigning for improved health facilities.
Wivenhoe Surgery, which is currently in The Avenue, is close to agreeing terms with Essex County Council to use the former Philip Road Primary School in the town.
Wivenhoe’s county councillor Julie Young, who campaigned for the building to be kept in community use, has welcomed the news.
“This is excellent news for the Wivenhoe community who have waited for decades for an upgraded health facility,” she said. “Many people have felt this day would never come. Local doctors should have modern facilities to provide the first class care that local people need.”
The proposals will also allow parts of the grounds to remain in community use. The youth bus will continue to visit the car park in the evening, while the multi-use games area will also remain in use. Ms Young also said she was “delighted” The Hub youth club would continue to use the site during the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
Discussions are continuing between the council and Ashley House plc, which is negotiating on behalf of the surgery, to finalise a 125-year lease on the property.
Linzi Knights, development manager at Ashley House, said: “We are delighted to have reached this point and believe our vision of a greatly enhanced health offer for the people of Wivenhoe is now attainable.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast