Today’s search for missing 21-year-old Sophie Smith called off due to bad weather conditions
- Credit: Norfolk Police
A search for missing Sophie Smith today has been called off due to the inclement weather conditions.
People had been asked to meet at Gorleston beach car park at 11am to search along the town’s seafront and towards Hopton.
However organiser Emma Gallagher has cancelled the search and posted on Facebook: “Due to the weather this morning, unfortunately I’m having to put this search on hold.
“It is my responsibility to think of the safety of the volunteers, and with the recent crumbling of the cliffs and tide’s likely to change, I am not 100% happy. If anything happens to anyone, it will be my fault for leading this search.
“I hope you all understand, I want to find Sophie as much as anyone, but I can’t be putting other people at danger. If you do decide to carry on, I urge you to be extremely careful.”
You may also want to watch:
Sophie was last seen at 3am on Boxing Day leaving her home in Avondale Road, Gorleston.
Police say she suffers from severe anxiety and depression and fear she may have gone into the sea.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
Anyone with information should call Norfolk Police immediately on 101.