Security alert over at base
BOMB disposal squads have been sent in to an American airbase after a suspicious package was found in a vehicle.The security alert at the Main Gate of RAF Mildenhall was sparked at 10.
A SECURITY scare is over after bomb disposal squads were called to an American airbase because a suspicious package was found in a vehicle.
The main road into RAF Mildenhall - the A1101 - was closed off at 10.30am at the Main Gate after base personnel stopped a vehicle at the entrance and found a package.
However it later emerged the package was nothing more than an empty white box.
The 100th Security Forces Squadron team and the Ministry Guard Service initiated enhanced security measures after the package was found in the search area at the base entrance.
You may also want to watch:
The Army's bomb disposal unit was also called in.
A spokesman for RAF Mildenhall said: “The vehicle was attempting to gain entrance onto the installation and was subjected to a routine search.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 5 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 6 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 7 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 8 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 9 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
“Security personnel discovered the package and initiated enhanced security measures which included closing the A1101 from the St John's Gate to the roundabout which leads to RAF Lakenheath or Mildenhall town.
“The British Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit has been called in to investigate the package. All security measures are in place to ensure the safety of individuals until officials can determine the contents of the package.