Woman in her 40s dies after serious crash on A12 at Copdock
A woman in her 40s died after a serious crash on the A12 near Copdock yesterday afternoon.
Officers were called to the scene of a multi-vehicle collision, involving two lorries and a car, on the northbound carriageway near to the Copdock Interchange, at 12.40pm on Friday, April 20.
Suffolk police have since confirmed a woman in her 40s died as a result of the accident.
A second collision involving three vehicles took place on the southbound carriageway opposite the scene of the initial collision soon after.
This morning a police spokeswoman said there were reports of other injuries as a result of the collision, although none are believed to be life-threatening,
You may also want to watch:
Both carriageways were closed to traffic while emergency services worked at the scene with motorists diverted off the northbound section at Capel St Mary and the southbound at Washbrook.
A police spokeswoman said the road had reopened just after midnight last night.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
Seven fire crews – from stations including Ipswich East, Princes Street, Holbrook and Colchester – were sent to the scene.
The East of England Ambulance service were also called to the scene.
A spokesperson EEAST said: “We were called today (20th April) at 12.37pm to reports of multi-vehicle road traffic collision on the A12 (northbound), Capel St Mary, Suffolk.
“Two ambulance crews, an ambulance officer, a rapid response vehicle and the air ambulance from Essex and Herts Air Ambulance (EHAAT) were sent to help.”
EEAST added that three people were assessed at the scene of the second crash and treated at the scene for arm and wrist injuries.
“They were all conveyed to Ipswich Hospital for further care,” a spokesman said.