Service set for installation of new Dean
THE new Dean of St Edmundsbury Cathedral will be installed during a special service this weekend.
Rev Canon Dr Frances Ward will be taking over the role from the Very Rev Neil Collings who died in June.
She will be installed as the new Dean at a service in the cathedral this Saturday.
Formally a canon theologian at Bradford Cathedral, Dr Ward is only the fourth woman to been appointed Dean by the Church of England.
“It’s an immensely exciting time for the cathedral, and a tremendous privilege to serve the towns and villages of the diocese of Ipswich and St Edmundsbury in the years to come as Dean,” she said. “I think we are at the beginning of something new and exciting in God’s plans for us: with a new tower to celebrate, and a new organ to sound forth the glory of God, I look forward to a time of renaissance within the church and renewed confidence in its role in British society.”
You may also want to watch:
In welcoming the new mother-of-four Dean, the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the Rt Rev Nigel Stock said: “I very much look forward to working with someone who has always helped the church to serve the local community.
“I know that Frances will carry on ensuring that the cathedral is a place which seeks to be of service to the whole of Suffolk.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 9 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 10 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week