Sex attack was made up

A YOUNG woman who claimed she had been seriously sexually assaulted in an Essex town made the attack up, it has been revealed.An inquiry was launched after the woman told police she had been accosted in the High Street on Friday night and forced into a nearby lane where the sex attack took place.

Annie Davidson

A YOUNG woman who claimed she had been seriously sexually assaulted in an Essex town made the attack up, it has been revealed.

An inquiry was launched after the woman told police she had been accosted in Burnham High Street on Friday night and forced into a nearby lane where the sex attack took place.

She gave a description of her attacker and a media appeal for information from the public was made.

However Essex Police said today the young woman had admitted the assault never happened.

Detective Superintendent Tim Wills said: “Essex Police takes all allegations of sexual assault very seriously and investigates each one thoroughly.

Most Read

“False allegations take up a lot of police time and can have serious consequences.

“It is now evident that certain factors in the young woman's life had influenced her allegation and we will continue to work with her and her family and with partner agencies to address these issues.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter