Share in the success of the community-owned Duke of Marlborough, Somersham
- Credit: CONTRIBUTED
Share in the success of the Duke of Marlborough in Somersham.
You’d never know on first entering the 15th Century, oak-beamed Duke of Marlborough in the heart of the mid Suffolk countryside that it’s a community-owned pub.
The lovely interior, the excellent food and drink and the friendly service spell out professionalism. Yet half the members of the team who work there are volunteers.
Professional manager Kevin Long and talented young chef Richard Podd take pride in the multi-generational crew they lead, training them to high standards of food preparation and service.
“Sunday lunches are almost always a sell-out,” says Kevin.
You may also want to watch:
“And our very popular chef’s menu is on offer only certain days of the week, so booking is always advisable. There’s still time to reserve tables for Christmas meals and parties, as the menu has only just been revealed. It’ll be worth the journey, wherever you are coming from.”
Give yourself – and friends, family or workmates - a treat this festive season.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
The special three course menu starts on November 29 and offers some Christmas classics and contemporary twists - all fresh, home-cooked dishes prepared to the highest standards.
Maybe you’d choose traditional roast turkey with all the trimmings or maybe the lighter salmon wellington might take your fancy. For the full menu selection check out the website.
The three course lunch or supper is just £25 and you’ll need to book ahead so don’t hesitate to give Kevin a call. Gluten or dairy free needed? No problem.
Somersham is a stone’s throw from Ipswich and the A14 and parking is not an issue. If you feel like getting your steps in while you are in this beautiful part of the countryside, wrap up warm and explore the footpaths. Then come back to an open fire, great selection of ales and a hearty pub meal. Mmm, a perfect winter treat.
Shares in a pub make for the perfect Christmas present!
The pub is owned by more than 200 shareholders and the list is growing.
If you fancy joining in and becoming one of the part-owners of this jewel of a Suffolk pub, come along, check it out and let them know. Or how about giving £250 worth of shares in the pub as an unusual but amazing Christmas gift? Get in touch to find out more.
• You’ll find the Duke of Malborough in Main Road, Somersham, call 01473 831283, email firstname.lastname@example.org