Dramatic video captures lightning strike as Suffolk and Essex prepares for more storms today
- Credit: Archant
Severe storms brought thunder, lightning and heavy rainfall to much of Suffolk and Essex early this morning.
Forecasters at Weatherquest said the storm was widespread across the region – and warned more rain could fall this morning.
Weatherquest’s Phil Garner said the worst of the stormy weather was moving away to the north this morning after the region saw between 5-9mm of rainfall.
“Further showers could be coming later on today,” he added.
“We are watching an area over norther France at the moment, which is likely to bring further showers and possibly some thunder from mid-morning.”
Mr Garner said the conditions were expected to remain “very muggy” with high temperatures of around 23C-26C.
While there is expected to be cloud and rainfall, Mr Garner also said there was likely to be some good periods of sunshine too.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 3 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 4 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 5 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 6 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 7 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 8 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
- 9 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 10 Rail services disrupted after Needham Market bridge struck
Suffolk police said the heavy rain cause several road accidents with drivers sliding in the wet, though none were serious.
Reader Shantelle Robinson, who posts as WeatherWatcherShanny uploaded some dramatic video footage of the lightning strikes in Clacton-on-Sea.
Did you take any pictures of the lightning? Please share them by email.