Sharp-minded Molly celebrates her 100th birthday in Long Melford
- Credit: Gregg Brown
New centenarian Molly Watson may just have hit 100 but her mind is as sharp as ever.
The resident of Meford Court nursing home in Long Melford, who celebrated with family and friends at a party on Saturday, still takes part in - and wins - the regular quizzes organised by staff.
In addition, she likes to keep herself looking young and gets her nails manicured every week.
As well as receiving a card from the Queen, Mrs Watson was presented with a huge birthday cake and was surrounded by family including her sons Malcolm and Graham.
Originally from Edmonton, London, Mrs Watson moved to Glemsford in 1982. She married Alf Watson in 1940 and during her long lifetime, she worked at Barclays Bank and in secretarial roles.
You may also want to watch:
Her son Malcolm said: “She has always had a very active mind. She studied Pitman shorthand and typing at college in her younger days and although she gave up work when we were born, she continued to read the papers with interest and to do the crosswords. She won the quiz night the first week she arrived at the nursing home.”
Marilyn Green, activities coordinator at Melford Court, said: “Molly is wonderful. She joins in all of the activities here and her memory is excellent. That’s why the quizzes are her favourite.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 10 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
Mrs Watson also has three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.