Snow

Snow

max temp: 2°C

min temp: -2°C

Search

Shed catches fire in Essex after mirror reflects heat

PUBLISHED: 15:44 18 June 2018 | UPDATED: 15:44 18 June 2018

Firefighters tackled a shed fire in Stisted Stock Image Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Firefighters tackled a shed fire in Stisted Stock Image Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Archant

Firefighters tackled a blaze involving a shed this afternoon after a mirror reflected sunlight and caused it to ignite.

The incident took place in Back Lane, Stisted, near Braintree, just after midday and crews from Braintree and Halstead were called after a neighbour noticed smoke.

On arrival firefighters reported that the building, which measures around 10 metres by six metres and is positioned close to a two-storey home, was completely alight.

The fire had also spread to an adjacent fence - around six metres of which was alight.

Crews worked hard to restrict damage to the nearby property and were able to extinguish the fire completely by 1.40pm.

The shed was been badly damaged.

Essex Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused after a mirror, which had been left in direct sunlight, reflected heat onto the shed’s awning and caused it to ignite.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists