Shed used to house birds affected by hedge fire in Stowmarket

Firefighters tackle a hedge fire in Stowmarket

Firefighters tackle a hedge fire in Stowmarket

A shed used to house birds was involved in a fire that started in a hedge during the early hours of Saturday morning.

It is not clear if any birds were in the aviary at the time, or were affected by the blaze, but fire crews were quickly able to bring the flames under control.

It followed calls to the fire service from members of the public reporting seeing smoke in the area of Gainsborough Road, Stowmarket.

A fire crew from Needham Market was sent to the scene just before 12.50am. They arrived to find a five-metre conifer hedge alight and in danger of also igniting a nearby shed used as an aviary.

Stowmarket firefighters also attended and helped bring the blaze under control by about 1.15am.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus