Shelland: Fire crews save thatched roof from chimney fire

FIRE crews tackled a chimney fire on a thatched property in Shelland last night.

Crews from Elmswell and Stowmarket, as well as one fire engine and aerial appliance from Bury St Edmunds, were scrambled to the incident on Lower Road at 9:47 pm.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the reason such a high number of firefighters were sent out was because of the high possibility of the fire spreading rapidly on the thatched property.

Chimney gear and a thermal imaging camera were used to fight the fire and to check whether the fire had spread to the thatch. But, due to the rapid work of crews, the fire was contained to the chimney stack and the thatched roof saved.

Crews dampened down the chimney and were all back at home stations by 10:57pm


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus