Sibton pub celebrates after being crowned Suffolk Dining Pub of the Year for second year running
A rural country inn is celebrating this week after being crowned Suffolk Dining Pub of the Year for the second year running.
The White Horse Inn in Sibton received the accolade in the Good Pub Guide, released today, following an anonymous visit by judges earlier this year.
Landlords, married couple Neil and Gillian Mason, have said they are thrilled with the news.
Mr Mason said: “The Good Pub Guide is an institution within the industry and we are delighted to have won it for the second year running.
“To win it for the first time was obviously very pleasing, To win it for the second time is nothing short of fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
Each pub in the guide is ranked following a visit by judges and letters of support sent in by customers and local residents.
Editor of the Good Pub Guide, Fiona Stapley, said: “It’s a genuinely welcoming and bustling inn serving delicious food using home-grown produce and eggs from their own hens.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 3 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 4 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 5 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
“On top of that, they offer a fine range of drinks - and hold two summer beer festivals - and the well-equipped and comfortable bedrooms are in a separate building next door.”
The award comes just one week after Mr and Mrs Mason celebrated 10 years at the White Horse. It remains very much a family run business, with Mrs Mason splitting her time between working in the kitchen and front of house, Mr Mason conducting the management and their son, Luke, 18, also working behind the bar and serving food.
Mr Mason said he had been told the White Horse was the only Suffolk pub to have won the accolade for two consecutive years.
He added: “We are very grateful to those who have supported us and have done now for over 10 years.
“It’s very much a family business. It’s fairly unusual now for someone to stay 10 years. The pub is old and full of character and the location is superb. We meet some wonderful people.
“We see ourselves as a good balance bewteen a pub and a restaurant. You come along to the White Horse and have what is a restaurant meal but enjoy it in the relaxed and informal environment of the village local and the mucky paws of the local dogs.”