Simon Webber, charged with conspiracy to murder, appears at magistrates’ court in Ipswich
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A man has appeared in court this morning charged in connection with the shooting of a man in Bury St Edmunds.
Simon Webber, of Sydenham Close in Bridgwater, Somerset, was charged last night with conspiracy to murder Jonathan Catchpole.
The charge relates to the period between April 30 and August 5 this year.
Today Webber, aged 31, appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich via video link from Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.
He spoke to confirm his name and address and wore a blue T-shirt.
Chairman of the bench Mrs Brennan said the case could not be heard by magistrates and would be sent to Ipswich Crown Court.
No application was made for bail and Webber will be remanded in custody until a preliminary hearing on August 25 at 10am.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 3 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 4 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 7 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 8 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 9 'I'm almost getting fed goals on a plate... there's no better feeling' - Town match-winner Burns loving life at Ipswich
- 10 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
Last Tuesday police were called to the scene of a shooting at Forum Court in Bury St Edmunds around 6.45pm.
Half an hour later a burnt-out car was found in Rushbrooke Lane and a shotgun discovered inside it.
The following day a 58-year-old man and two women aged 59 and 28 – all from the Needham Market area – were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and subsequently released on bail until October 1 pending further enquiries.
A 39-year-old man from Dorchester was later arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and released on bail until September 25 pending further enquiries, while a 34-year-old man, also from Dorchester, arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder was released on bail until September 24.
Earlier today a seventh person, a 51-year-old man also from Dorchester, was arrested by Dorset Police on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
He is being brought to Suffolk for questioning.
Police are continuing to appeal for anyone who believes they witnessed any suspicious behaviour at either Forum Court or Rushbrooke Lane on the evening of the shooting to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Major Investigation Team on 101 quoting reference BU/15/2542, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.