Sizewell: Nuclear power plant to be taken offline for planned maintenance
- Credit: citizenside.com
Operators of Sizewell B power station have announced it will be taken offline for planned maintenance work on Saturday.
EDF Energy said the plant near Leiston will stop generating for about a day while engineers top up oil which lubricates bearings on one of the four reactor coolant pump motors.
A spokeswoman said: “Sizewell B continues to operate safely, with the motors running within normal operating parameters.
“We have taken the decision to bring the station offline so we can carry out this work ahead of the next refuelling outage in October.
“This is the second occasion we have brought the station offline this year to top up the oil on this reactor coolant pump motor.
You may also want to watch:
“Loss of oil on this design of motor is a known issue among the large community of end users, and is something that is being proactively managed on a global scale.
“Effective management and monitoring means the oil losses do not affect the safe operation of the equipment or the station.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn