Sizewell: Power station taken offline
SIZEWELL B power station is expected to be offline for a few days for safety reasons, owner EDF said.
Workers detected low levels of oil on a reactor cooling pump and shut the reactor at 4am this morning.
EDF believes the outage will only last “a few days” and engineers are on site carrying out investigations.
A spokeswoman for EDF said: “We took the decision to take Sizewell B offline at 4am on 1 February following indications of low levels of oil on a reactor cooling pump.
“This is a conservative decision which is in line with our company ethos of putting safety first at all times.
You may also want to watch:
“All indications so far suggest this will be a short outage - just a few days - however, we will know more once our highly trained engineers have examined the equipment further this morning.”
The power station was offline for several months last year after problems with a pressuriser, part of the reactor’s cooling circuit.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence