Sizwell: Nuclear power station still offline
ENGINEERS are still trying to bring a Suffolk nuclear power station back online.
Sizewell B was shut down earlier this week because workers detected low levels of oil on a reactor cooling pump.
Last night a spokeswoman for owners EDF said initial investigations had been successful and the power station would soon be back up and running.
“Fault-finding inspections and diagnostics went well on the reactor cooling pump and we are currently finalising repairs which will enable us to return Sizewell B back into service shortly,” she said.
The power station was taken offline at 4am on Tuesday as a safety precaution.
You may also want to watch:
At the time a spokeswoman said: “We will continue to monitor the equipment to check it is functioning normally before restarting the station.
“Safety is our number one priority and we’ll only return the station to service when we are satisfied that this piece of equipment is functioning as it should, which is expected to be in a number of days.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 9 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
The power station was offline for several months last year after problems with a pressuriser, part of the reactor’s cooling circuit.
On Wednesday six protesters from the Stop Nuclear Power Network blockaded the entrance to the plant in a peaceful protest.
The group locked themselves together and wore fish masks to highlight the threat posed by coastal erosion to building further nuclear reactors at Sizewell.