Smudge the cat in shed ordeal
FOR three weeks Smudge the cat was forced to survive on instincts alone – after getting trapped in a garden shed. Fending off a mass of ticks and fleas feeding off her, the plucky feline was forced to eat her own faeces before finally being found by a shocked homeowner earlier this month .
FOR three weeks Smudge the cat was forced to survive on instincts alone – after getting trapped in a garden shed.
Fending off a mass of ticks and fleas feeding off her, the plucky feline was forced to eat her own faeces before finally being found by a shocked homeowner earlier this month .
Now Cats Protection, based in Bury St Edmunds, is appealing for the animal's owners or for someone who would like to look after Smudge to come forward after she recovers from severe dehydration suffered in the shed at a home in Bradfield St George.
A spokeswoman for the charity said: "Cats Protection in Bury St Edmunds took in a little cat a few days ago that had, by accident, been locked in a shed for three weeks.
You may also want to watch:
"There was no food or water available. She had been forced to eat her own faeces in order to survive."
Smudge was discovered earlier this monthand was described as just "skin and bone".
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 8 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 Suffolk 'can't afford' to repair or clear 700 damaged road signs
The spokeswoman added: "The cat was so thin you could see her spine sitting on top of her back like a pencil.
"She was too weak to move she had become prey to a mass of ticks. When the owner of the shed opened the door and saw the situation she was horrified."
After unsuccessful attempts to find the owner, the cat was rushed to a veterinary surgery and Smudge, suffering from a heavy cold and chest infection, was put on a drip.
Smudge is now with Bury's Cats Protection and having round-the-clock care.
The spokeswoman said: "She seems content, knowing that food and water is to hand and a warm clean place in which to sleep.
"Her breathing is still bad, she is very chesty and not out of danger yet, but she is holding her own and miraculously progressing.
"At the moment, Smudge needs to sleep a lot, both to recover from the shock to her body and to regain her health, but she is always awake for mealtimes and enjoys her cat treats.
"She seems content to know that when all seemed lost, help came, and now she is safe."
The charity has described Smudge as about 15 years old, unusually coloured and under-laid with ginger tabby markings.
They have also made an appeal for homeowners to check their garages and sheds before leaving their property, especially during the festive season.
Anyone with information or if anyone would like to sponsor or offer a home to Smudge, should contact Cats Protection on 01359 271990.