So much fun... then so futile
- Credit: supplied
After miles of smiles on the A140, rubber-neckers made it a no-go for motoring editor Andy Russell.
The A140 between Ipswich and Norwich left me with mixed memories over the past few days.
The first was miles of smiles after I let a retro Nissan Figaro out into the flow of slow-moving traffic.
The occupants of the immaculate emerald green Figaro were a mature, but clearly young-at-heart, couple who had the soft-top roof panel down and were enjoying the warm late afternoon sunshine.
Their enthusiasm was so infectious that I found myself following them for several miles even though they were often doing little more than 40mph – it was so much fun.
You may also want to watch:
The next day I was on the Norwich Southern Bypass approaching the A140 turn-off when traffic in both lanes of the carriageway ground to a halt before trickling along slowly for the best part of a mile. Must be a big accident I thought.
And when we finally reached the scene there was a car well into the field of cereal but, judging from the ‘Police Aware’ tape on it, it had been there for some time and the traffic hold-up had been caused by passing motorists slowing down and ‘rubber-necking’.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
What made it even worse was that a couple of cars were parked on the verge, their drivers exchanging details, having had a minor shunt in the slow stream of traffic – the whole thing was so unnecessary.