Soldier tells of honour at MBE award
A SUFFOLK soldier who has just returned from service in Afghanistan will today head off to Windsor Castle to pick up an honour.
Major Jonathan Scott, who was brought up in Stonham Aspal, near Stowmarket, is set to receive an MBE.
The 34-year-old, who attended Thomas Mills High School in Framlingham and was a member of Ipswich Harriers athletics club, returned from the front line two weeks ago.
However he is receiving his MBE for his work with the Afghanistan Operations Team.
As part of his role he visited Afghanistan 12 times in two years and was responsible for co-ordinating roles and the placement of troops on the front line.
You may also want to watch:
More recently he has been an officer commanding 8 Armoured Engineer Squadron with the 26 Engineer Regiment, which is based outside Tidworth, Salisbury.
They have just returned from a four-month deployment in Afghanistan where they built infrastructure to protect the troops and improve the lives of locals. Maj Scott, who has been in the Army for 13 years and has previously been deployed in Bosnia, Kosovo, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, said: “We were very fortunate with the most recent deployment because we came back in one piece, for which we are very grateful.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 9 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 10 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
“It is a huge honour to be awarded an MBE and I am very proud.
“I am chuffed I can take my mum, sister and girlfriend along as guests – the day is as much for them as it is myself.”