Surfs up in Southwold as chilly winds hit coast
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
The Suffolk coast has been hit by fresh winds today as temperatures on the beaches stay cool.
As the long summer of 2020 draws to a close, families have flocked to the east coast to enjoy the last few days of sun.
Today strong winds have whipped up the surf and large waves have been seen crashing down onto the shores in Southwold.
Temperatures may well reach 24C inland but out on the coast it is only expected to reach a maximum of 17C.
East Anglia based weather agency Weatherquest said today would be staying dry with long spells of sunshine, though it may be hazy at times with high cloud drifting through.
In a tweet this morning it warned: “Feeling chilly in the wind with a moderate northeasterly, fresh along the coast.”
Some brave swimmers have been spotted in the water at Southwold, while surfers have been drawn by the huge waves.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 10 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
Next week looks set to start warm and sunny but warm and sunny but we could see some showers by mid week, bringing an end to the September heatwave and signally the start of the autumnal weather.