Southwold: Much-debated Costa Coffee shop finally opens its doors
- Credit: Picture: Nick Butcher
A COFFEE chain has opened its controversial store in Southwold.
Costa Coffee officially opened its High Street shop on Wednesday but was open for several hours on Tuesday as staff completed last minute preparations and handed out free coffee vouchers in the town.
The town council and more than 600 people objected to the company’s plans to take over the former Fanny & Frank clothes shop amid concerns it could harm the town’s “unique character”.
But despite the opposition, its plans were given the go-ahead by Waveney District Council’s development control committee in August.
Store manager Glenn Crane, who previously managed the Costa in Tesco, Beccles, said the shop had been busy since opening at 7am yesterday morning.
“We had workmen in at 7.10am wanting coffee,” he said. “We are surprised at how busy it has been.”
There was much speculation on social networking site Twitter in the build up to the low-key opening with opinion split among social media users.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins to for Town
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 6 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 7 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 10 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
And Guy Mitchell, chairman of Southwold Chamber of Trade, urged people to keep supporting local independent businesses now that Costa Coffee had opened.
Mr Mitchell added: “With over 80% of businesses being local independents, we’d encourage people to value the fact that Southwold offers something a little different.”