Southwold: Promenade closed due to severe weather damage
- Credit: citizenside.com
Part of a popular Suffolk seafront has today closed in the interests of public safety.
Due to the recent severe weather, part of the Promenade in Southwold has been closed by Waveney District Council.
Strong wind has swept away significant amounts of sand and shingle from the beach just south of Southwold Pier.
Although the area will naturally rebuild over time, the concrete apron beneath the Promenade has been exposed.
That means if somebody fell from the Promenade, they would fall directly on to concrete.
Investigations are taking place to see whether emergency work is needed.
You may also want to watch:
Waveney District Council has apologised for any inconvenience created by the closure, but stressed that the work is essential to ensure public safety.
It hopes that limited access to the Promenade should be allowed within the week.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 10 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets