Spitfire to fly over Suffolk and Essex Hospitals to thank NHS
- Credit: JAYNE KIRKBY
A spitfire is to fly over our local hospitals this afternoon to say thank you to NHS heroes.
The blue Spitfire PL983 ‘L’, a photo reconnaissance plane, will be flying across Suffolk and Essex on Friday afternoon.
The plane, looked after by The Aircraft Restoration Company, is being flown across the country to mark the work of NHS staff during the pandemic and bears the words ‘Thank You NHS’ on it’s underside.
On Friday the Spitfire will be taking two flights; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
While the morning will cover hospitals in south Essex, Hertfordshire and Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge, the afternoon flight will see the Spitfire take to the skies of Norfolk, Suffolk and north Essex.
You may also want to watch:
The timings for our local hospitals are as follows:
• 16.00 - RAF Lakenheath Hospital
- 1 Group fined for travelling more than 10 miles to get a takeaway in lockdown
- 2 Tributes are paid to 'inspirational' teacher Gaynor Jacobs
- 3 'It's up to Marcus what he does' - Lambert reacts to Sunderland defeat
- 4 Senior Suffolk doctor admits to problems in local vaccine rollout
- 5 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 1-0 home loss to Sunderland
- 7 Large drop in coronavirus cases in Ipswich as county cases continue to fall
- 8 Development of 136 homes approved for rural village
- 9 Noise disruption possible as low-flying RAF jets simulate training
- 10 First phase of new 2,000 home site approved
• 16.06 - West Suffolk Hospital
• 16.15 - Ipswich Hospital
• 16.20 - Colchester Hospital
All route timings are estimates and could change during the flight.
The flypast is part of a wider project by the Aircraft Restoration Company who will be hand writing 80,000 names onto the plane in the next few months. They are hoping that people will nominate their local heroes who have helped them through the pandemic for the special honour.
Have you taken a photo of the Spitfire over Suffolk today? Email us.