Spoiler alert! Seventh contestant leaves Great British Bake Off tent during first ever Italian week
- Credit: C4
The Great British Bake Off contestants have gone head to head and said “ciao” to the seventh baker to leave the tent during the first ever Italian week.
Scientist Yan was eliminated from the show tonight after describing the new theme as a “bootcamp for bakers”.
The 46-year-old, from north London, struggled while making classic Sicilian cannoli in the signature challenge.
Her pastry bakes fell apart in Prue Leith’s hands and to her dismay she came in fifth place in the technical – which saw bakers tasked with making the perfect margarita pizza.
Yan, who praised her wife of 17 years for her support during the contest, also failed to impress with her batch of 24 sfogliatella – shell-shaped filled pastries from Campania – in the showstopper challenge.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “From the very moment I stepped into the tent, and started competing against so many great bakers, it really lifted my game.
“It’s about making yourself better, and we all wanted to nurture our talent collectively.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 7 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 9 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 10 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
“I had such great support from friends and family.
“Marian is my wife of 17 years. She keeps me grounded, and has been my marshmallow throughout the whole experience.
“At times it’s been a bit overwhelming for me, but she has constantly kept me grounded.
“I bake every other day using my Muvver sour bread starter – I called it that because she is the mother of all my sourdoughs.
She added: “To get through to seven weeks is an amazing achievement.
“I really thought I was leaving in caramel week, episode four, so I was so pleased that I got to episode seven.”
Yan also spoke of the immense heat in the tent as the bakers worked up a sweat making their Italian creations.
“It was the hottest day of the year, and it was the longest day of the year, in more ways than one for me,” she said.
Sophie Faldo, from Suffolk, impressed the judges yet again and was praised for her efforts in all three challenges.
But it was Steven, who came top in the technical, who took home the coveted title of Star Baker for the third time.
• The Great British Bake Off continues on Tuesday at 8pm on Channel 4.