Sponsored read raises £1,500 for school books
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk primary school has raised a huge £1,500 after taking part in a bumper book read.
The children at Capel St Mary Primary School raised just over £950 from their sponsored read, which was bumped up to £1,500 by the publisher Usborne.
The theme for the eight-day task was ‘reading in strange places’ – with children taking their books to read under the bed, up in treehouses, on swings and in cupboards.
The money has been invested in roughly 200 new books for the school, so the pupils can enjoy reading for years to come.
Genna Mohammed, representative for Usborne, said the sponsored read had been a huge success.
You may also want to watch:
“It is about promoting literacy in schools and in the home,” she said. “Any school can get involved in it.”
If schools raise £600 in sponsorship, Usborne will boost their funds by 60%.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
To sign up for an Usborne sponsored read, search for ‘Gennanory’ on Facebook or call Genna on 07545 002478.