Search

Make up mirror caused bedroom fire

PUBLISHED: 07:39 16 June 2020 | UPDATED: 07:39 16 June 2020

Fire crews were called to a bedroom fire caused by a make up mirror Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Fire crews were called to a bedroom fire caused by a make up mirror Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Archant

Firefighters were called to a bedroom fire in St Osyth which was caused by a make-up mirror.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to Lee Wick Lane shortly before midday on Monday following reports of a house fire.

Fire crews found a make-up mirror had been left on a window sill in direct sunlight.

The light from the mirror was projected onto curtains which caused them to ignite.

Crews made sure the fire, which was contained to the bedroom, was fully extinguished and were at the scene until 12.13pm.

Watch Manager Ben Turner said: “Thankfully the occupants noticed the fire quickly and there was only minor damage to the bedroom.

“Despite that, it could easily have been much worse and shows the dangers of leaving mirrors or any other glass objects, on window sills, particularly during warm, sunny weather.”

“When the sun is more intense and out for much longer, incidents like this are surprisingly common and can be very serious.

“If you have a mirror in direct sunlight, there is a real risk of this happening in your home too. Please think carefully about where your mirrors are and move them if necessary.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times