Four men thought to be staff at Zeera Indian restaurant, Stowmarket, filmed ‘hitting man with baseball bat’ after he ‘left without paying’
- Credit: Archant
Four individuals thought to be members of staff at a Suffolk curry house have been filmed attacking a man outside the restaurant.
A video, posted by The Sun website today (August 1), shows four men who appear to work for Zeera, in Union Street West, in a violent altercation with a man.
One person can be seen beating the man, who is believed to be a customer, with what looks like a baseball bat, while several others punched, kicked and shoved him.
The restaurant, which is at the end of a row of terraced houses and opposite the now empty former Poundland supermarket, was not available to comment.
According to The Sun, the manager of the Zeera claimed a group of four diners had refused to pay for an £83 meal then racially abused staff.
This newspaper understands that the restaurant management is claiming an altercation had started inside the curryhouse, with at least one member of staff alledgedly assaulted before the filming started.
The incident is filmed taking place in the Poundland loading bay, across the road from Zeera.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 4 Matchday Live: Chaplin fires Town in front after clever move
- 5 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 6 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 7 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 8 Ex Town striker Wickham links back up with Manning at MK Dons
- 9 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 10 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Police were called at approximately 8.40pm on Thursday, July 15, to reports of an altercation between a group of people at an address in Union Street West, Stowmarket.
“Two men were arrested on suspicion of assault – a 26-year-old and a 31-year-old both from Ipswich. Both have been released under investigation pending further enquiries.”
A source told The Sun the fight broke out after the customers claimed the food was not up to scratch and then refused to pay for it.
The incident was filmed by a passerby. At one point it shows a man, believed to be a friend of the alleged victim, trying to restrain one of the staff members.
A voice can be heard demanding money at one point during the video, while a clearly distressed woman also tells them she is calling the police.
• Did you see the attack or do you know the people involved? Phone the newsroom on 01284 727411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org