Stanningfield man jailed for sexually assaulting teenage boys during camping and fishing trips
- Credit: Archant
A 59-year-old man who sexually abused two schoolboys during camping and fishing trips in Suffolk has been jailed for 15 years.
John Dubois, who used to live in Stanningfield, befriended the boys and then groomed them by giving them money, alcohol and cigarettes, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The offences came to light in July last year when one of the victims, who is now in his mid-20s, contacted the police, said Chris Youell, prosecuting.
He said the first victim was aged 13-15 and the second was 11-16 when they were sexually abused by Dubois during camping and fishing trips.
The first victim told police that Dubois had bought him and the other boy drinks in a pub and had given them cash and cigarettes.
“With hindsight he realises that was grooming behaviour,” Mr Youell said.
He said the sexual abuse started when the boy was 13 and was lying on a sleeping bag in a tent when Dubois put his hands down his jogging bottoms and tried to kiss him on the lips.
- 1 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 2 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 3 Council has 'no plans' to alter verge cutting schedule in Suffolk
- 4 'There are still areas we want to improve' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 5 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 6 Town in negotiations with Aberdeen over Hladky sale
- 7 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 8 Plans for 5 'very large homes' in Suffolk village turned down
- 9 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 10 Stuart Taylor sacked by Hamilton
Mr Youell said the first victim also complained of being touched indecently by Dubois, who he knew as “Jock”, in his car.
He said Dubois told him: “Go on you might enjoy it.”
On one occasion Dubois gave the boy £100 and 200 cigarettes and on another occasion he gave him £40 and 20 cigarettes.
He said the victim estimated he was indecently assaulted on more than 50 occasions and had “gone off the rails” as a result of what happened to him.
The second victim was also sexually abused during fishing and camping trips with Dubois and claimed it happened about 12 times a year.
He said he was given money, cigarettes and alcohol to “keep quiet”.
Dubois, who now lives in Robert Balding Road, Dersingham, Norfolk, admitted eight offences of indecency on a male, five offences of indecency with a child and five offences of buggery.
The offences took place between 1996-2004.
Stephen Harvey, for Dubois, said his client had not been aggressive towards either of the schoolboys and had not given them illicit drugs.