Stanningfield man jailed for sexually assaulting teenage boys during camping and fishing trips
- Credit: Archant
A 59-year-old man who sexually abused two schoolboys during camping and fishing trips in Suffolk has been jailed for 15 years.
John Dubois, who used to live in Stanningfield, befriended the boys and then groomed them by giving them money, alcohol and cigarettes, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The offences came to light in July last year when one of the victims, who is now in his mid-20s, contacted the police, said Chris Youell, prosecuting.
He said the first victim was aged 13-15 and the second was 11-16 when they were sexually abused by Dubois during camping and fishing trips.
The first victim told police that Dubois had bought him and the other boy drinks in a pub and had given them cash and cigarettes.
You may also want to watch:
“With hindsight he realises that was grooming behaviour,” Mr Youell said.
He said the sexual abuse started when the boy was 13 and was lying on a sleeping bag in a tent when Dubois put his hands down his jogging bottoms and tried to kiss him on the lips.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
Mr Youell said the first victim also complained of being touched indecently by Dubois, who he knew as “Jock”, in his car.
He said Dubois told him: “Go on you might enjoy it.”
On one occasion Dubois gave the boy £100 and 200 cigarettes and on another occasion he gave him £40 and 20 cigarettes.
He said the victim estimated he was indecently assaulted on more than 50 occasions and had “gone off the rails” as a result of what happened to him.
The second victim was also sexually abused during fishing and camping trips with Dubois and claimed it happened about 12 times a year.
He said he was given money, cigarettes and alcohol to “keep quiet”.
Dubois, who now lives in Robert Balding Road, Dersingham, Norfolk, admitted eight offences of indecency on a male, five offences of indecency with a child and five offences of buggery.
The offences took place between 1996-2004.
Stephen Harvey, for Dubois, said his client had not been aggressive towards either of the schoolboys and had not given them illicit drugs.