Stansted: £850k being spent on improvement works at Stansted Airport railway station
- Credit: PA
Improvement works costing £850,000 are set to be carried out at Stansted Airport railway station.
Rail operator Abellio Greater Anglia will spend the money upgrading lights at the station.
The work will improve lighting levels and brighten the platforms and waiting areas, which do not get any natural light.
A total of 250 new lights with energy efficient bright LED bulbs will be fitted with some on every column in the station.
The work, which is expected to continue until the end of April, is being carried out by Spence Ltd on behalf of the rail operator.
You may also want to watch:
A team of specialist cleaners also recently targeted the station to do a deep clean.
Dirt, gum and grime from all floors, tiles, waiting rooms and toilet facilities were removed in the operation.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
To complete the station’s smart new appearance it has also been fitted with brand new signage in the Abellio Greater Anglia colours.
Flavio Lopes, area customer service manager, said: “I look forward to welcoming customers to a brighter, cleaner and much more appealing station environment as this upgrade is completed over the coming weeks.
“Investing in upgrades to stations across the network is extremely important to Abellio Greater Anglia, demonstrating our commitment to providing excellent facilities and service to our customers.”
Abellio Greater Anglia has agreed with the Department for Transport to roll-out a series of improvements to services and facilities across the region.
A recent plan drawn up with Network Rail also includes a review of contingency plans to restore services to normal following disruption, while carriages will be improved on the West Anglia route.