Stansted Airport team winter weather training is snow joke
- Credit: Archant
Flying from Stansted Airport this winter? Then there’s snow reason to be worried.
The airport’s operations team recently rehearsed its winter weather skills as Britain says goodbye to the summer – watch them in action below.
Each staff member refreshed themselves with the overall plan, and how to operate the machinery, show snowfall hit the Essex airport.
Being up to speed means the team aims to clear the runway in 30 minutes, depending on the depth of the snow, and minimise disruption to passengers.
Nick Millar, head of airside operations at the airport, said: “We start our winter training at the end of summer as our extensive plan involves more than 200 staff and a wider variety of hi-tech vehicles and kit.
“The airside operations team put in many hours of practice and training so they know exactly what his or her job is when the snow and ice arrives.
“During winter the team is on stand-by 24/7 so if it does snow we’re there to keep the airfield safe and ensure any disruption to passengers and airlines is kept to a minimum.”
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 3 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 7 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 8 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Barrow replay on ITV... winners will travel to Barnsley