Stansted: President Vladimir Putin flies on for Olympics
HUNDREDS of dignitaries and celebrities have been flying in to Stansted Airport for London 2012.
And the latest in a long line was Russian President, Vladimir Putin, who arrived at the airport ahead of meetings with David Cameron today.
Mr Putin arrived in the country at 12.30pm on the Russian Presidential aircraft, an Ilyushin IL-96- 300.
After meeting with the prime minister to discuss trade, Syria and human rights, he travelled to the Excel arena to enjoy the judo competition.
Mr Putin, who is himself a black belt in the martial art, and Mr Cameron narrowly missed Team GB fighter Gemma Gibbons’s semi-final victory over Audrey Tcheumeo, from France, after talks over-ran.
Gibbons won silver in the women’s under-78kg competition today.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143