Stansted flights halted by damaged runway
- Credit: STANSTED AIRPORT
Flights were grounded at London Stansted Airport for a short time due to runway damage.
After an hour of delays while airport staff carried out repairs, flights were resumed by 9am on May 22.
At least 27 departing flights were delayed by the problem, mainly affecting passengers travelling with Ryanair.
It is not known what destinations the planes were destined for.
A spokesman for the airport said that departures and arrivals were suspended on Wednesday morning to allow "minor runway works to be safely carried out".
London Stansted is the UK's fourth busiest airport, being used by 28 million passengers in 2018.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 3 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 6 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 7 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 9 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 10 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village